Manufacturing Since 1926
Baker & Davies Joinery is a 4th generation family business.
Established in 1926 as a traditional joinery works, Baker & Davies have always been manufacturers of timber windows and timber doors. We specialise in custom made windows and doors to our clients specifications or to match existing.
Technology has advanced since 1926 with the introduction of computers, CNC Routers and four sided moulders. It has enabled the company to continue making its traditional joinery (such as weights & cord double hung windows) as it has done for 80 years but enhance it with features such as double glazing, multi-locking door hardware, energy efficient weather seals and bi-folding doors.
We would like to thank all our staff, clients and collegues for making our journey such a success.
We have stopped taking new orders in preparation to close our doors for the final time on Friday 9th December 2016.
Why Architects & Builders Prefer Our Windows
- For those after high performance Baker & Davies offer custom ratings for special projects. We can have windows and doors custom made and tested for AS2047. We also do custom energy ratings for those looking to go beyond 6 star housing.
- For projects in bushfire areas, you can still have beautiful timber windows made to your design. We can manufacture windows to comply to BAL 29.
- We can use any timber. The most common timbers used are Victorian Ash, Western Red Cedar and Merbau. We also use a lot of American Oak, Spotted Gum, Jarrah, Ironbark, Baltic Pine and Blackbutt.
- We have years of experience doing work on heritage listed buildings. Working with heritage architects, on-site measures, providing shop drawings and full size samples for approval are all part of the service.
- All Baker & Davies joints are mortice, tenon and wedged as they have been for 80 years. There are lots of cheaper and easier joining methods but none better or more proven.
- No windows or doors from Baker & Davies are delivered ‘raw’. Timber delivered to site that is not sealed can expand, contract, warp or crack. All joinery delivered by Baker & Davies is sealed in the factory. Jobs to be painted are primed and jobs to be stained are coated with ‘Cabots Bar DK’. This is done before glazing and before sashes are fitted, meaning that all the areas that cannot be painted later are sealed. All door sills are factory coated with linseed oil.
- Builders & architects know that by using Baker & Davies they can match existing details. Any extensions or renovations can look original and not a cheap afterthought. Baker & Davies have over 30 door and sash profiles that can be used. This also allows architects more flexibility in any new build designs.
- Baker & Davies also do wood machining. It could be sanding benchtops, running some mouldings to match the rest of the job, manufacturing curved architraves, running extra deep door jambs or reducing some timber flooring to match the existing cover. Most architectural new builds or match existing extensions require some sort of unusual detail. By having Baker & Davies on the job our clients know they can get these jobs done.
- Baker & Davies air dry their Merbau and Western Red Cedar. It is common to see ‘green’ merbau used on door sills. As it dries it is likely to bow, warp or crack. It can be cheaper to use kiln dried Western Red Cedar but it is more likely to be brittle or split.
- Baker & Davies do not have a catalog or a standard range. Everything is made to order. This enables us greater flexibility in design. With our wealth of experience we can come up with design solutions that work, comply and last.
- As we don’t produce ‘stock’ windows or doors, Baker & Davies can use the best or most suitable hardware for each project. Whether its Brio, L.D.H, Whitco, Truth, Doric, Delf, Superior brass, Bouvet or Centor we can find the most suitable solution for any job.
Our Products & ServicesProducts:
- Double Hung Windows
- Casement Windows
- Awning Windows
- Sliding windows
- Louvre windows
- Bi-fold doors
- Sliding doors
- 5 point multi-lock system to french doors
- Timber or aluminium flyscreens
- External timber shutters
- BAL 29 windows and doors
- Match existing
- Factory priming
- Measure on site
- Shop drawings
- Custom energy ratings
- Custom AS2047 testing
- Various hardware options
- Made to order timber mouldings and wood machining
- C.N.C routered M.D.F or timber